Tuesday 6 October 2015

Media Monday: Summer Break, Just A Band ft. Owuor Arunga "Winning In Life"

Hasn't this been a long time coming . Anyway, what it do good people can you believe I'm coming  at you with a Media Monday installment? Yeah, I know, me neither. Without further adieu let's get into it son!

Without a doubt if there is a skill that I have mastered to a T, wasting time. I can look  at my nails for what seems like months on end, play with a strand of hair like a kitten with a strand of yarn except our enthusiasm and discreteness levels are worlds apart and stare into nothingness to the point where I give spaced out a whole new angle. But finding Youtube channels that serve more as distractions other than entertainment at least in my case, someone call Guiness Book of World Records because I deserve that plaque honey.

You guys know it all started with Jack's Gap then a little DanIsNotOnFire with a sprinkling of Caspar Lee then Thatcher Joe, just throw in whichever Youtube channel you can think of in this category, chances are I was/am  an addict for a while. Then I discovered vloggers and now Youtube series. Not just any Youtube series, reality series. A combo of two of some of my favorite things. You say heaven on a screen, I say, "Hi my name is Edwina and I am a Youtube-a-holic."

I was back at it again this past weekend. It wasn't the plan but four playlists and two seasons of SummerBreak later, I'm hooked.


Summer Break brings teens from diverse social backgrounds mostly seniors on their last summer break before they start the rest of their lives in college as freshmen and they throw in a couple of juniors going to senior year for the sake of series continuity in the next season. It's also vital to  add that it's mainly a huge ad' campaign by AT&T  a successful one if I may add. Not that it is on this side of the Sahara, but ey, that didn't stop me from lusting after some of the gadgets that were on constant 'casual' show. This is also a heads up on why you will see so many not so sneaky promos in form of selfies, videos through out the season.

It's safe  to say that the two seasons I've watched are pretty much the same, same story different cast. They have activities, road trips you know, the kinda thing to keep the story alive and some drama brewing. When I say drama I mean relationship drama; bro-to-bro, boy-girl, squad/crew/woes or whatever you call your group of friends these days and perhaps the most essential, what's a reality show without a cat fight?

They do try to throw in some actual real aspects of their lives like careers, inspiration, life and death situations but mostly leaving for college. The thing about reality shows is, at some point you end up feeling as though you are them. They have a whole new languge which you master, you call them by their nicknames 'RayRay' anyone? 'ship 'em (WhitRay), take sides when the crew is beefin' basically, you become attached. When it's time to say goodbye to the cast, people you will be forgiven for shedding a tear or two.

This is  where I tell you, 'What are you waiting for? Go watch it?' but there's a twist. Watch it at your own risk, hey, don't blame me if you go through all three seasons in a day or so.

One more thing, it could do with a little bit of diversity. I mean I haven't been to Cali' but I am pretty sure it's not all blonde, brunette babes that make up the female teen demographic.

Until recently Soundcloud  was just another website to me  but I'd say since mid-September I have abused the heck out of it. Reason, Winning In Life by Just A Band ft. Owuor Arunga. Blinky Bill, one of the members, who put it on his Insta bio had me all up on it.

It starts with the usual Just A Band flare, I can't describe it, but you know they are in the building. Almost seamlessly, Owuor Orunga hits the tune up with just the right amount of trumpet because the excitement is still coming but still marking his territory. Enter the Blinky Bill husky voice which I have to say is what I always look forward to. It's just climax after climax with this hit especially when it's pure instrumental fusion between both of them after the ' Kila mtu' turn up signal.

You still playing hard to get? No worries Just A Band gotchu. With some classic, classy trumpet and some funky jazz beats they leave it all on the track, no beat left behind. At this point, even if you do not want to admit it don't sweat it, I'll say it for you, you are officially lit. You are brought back to earth from that cloud 9 experience so suave, you don't even mind the song ending.

The video dropped not too long ago and the awesomeness spilled over there to, plus can you get over the single artwork cover? No? You are not alone. Don't forget to have a listen.

Have a good one!  

No comments :

Post a Comment